But those folks aside, everyone is feeling the pressure more and more. And even those who are better able to naturally shield themselves and adapt are finding their anxiety levels reaching an all-time high. In addition, we still face a major cultural stigma around dis-ease of the heart and mind in this country. Our pharmaceuticals, while helpful in some cases, fail to help many and are fraught with terrible side effects. Many are looking for alternative answers. And some are beginning to look for the root of the problem, rather than merely addressing symptoms.
So why are crystals such a good tool for dealing with anxiety?
Crystals are resistant to entropy, the tendency for energy to become disorganized and chaotic. Greater entropy resistance in people has been found to be a powerful mood shifter and manager. In other words, crystals help reduce your vulnerability to the stimuli that are overworking your nervous system.
Additionally, crystals work on all levels of being at the same time, so they naturally help address the underlying emotional, psychological, and spiritual causes that are producing physical symptoms.
However, some crystals will be better at calming your mind, body, and soul than others. And some may even make your anxiety worse. It's important that you try a few different suggestions in small sizes first, and determine which of these is most impactful for your unique needs and makeup.
When determining which crystals to work with for peace and calm, you want to be able to discriminate between crystals that regulate energy and crystals that stimulate energy. In most cases, crystals that regulate energy will be the most beneficial for combating anxiety and instilling a sense of calm.
Crystals that regulate energy tend to carry a lower vibration or frequency. They are often grounding, soothing, or relaxing. Keep in mind that every person and every crystal is unique, and how the two will react when combined can vary from one scenario to another. But as an overall rule, you can try looking for the following telltale signs that a crystal may be more soothing to you:
- Look for "grounding" colors—blacks, browns, reds, and even silver or grey stones are often grounding, working to activate the root and earth star chakras. Grounding stones regulate energy, helping us drain off the excess of what is no longer serving. Examples include hematite, red jasper, and brown striped jasper.
- Look for "quiet" colors—whites, dark purples, light blues, these kind of colors make up a quieter palette which tends to soothe rather than stir or agitate. Examples include amethyst, scolecite, and celestite.
- Look for types of crystals that are known for having a lower, slower vibe. Calcites, jaspers, and agates are all great examples of these.
- Look for crystal shapes that release energy softly and are easy on the eyes. Spheres and tumbles may be preferable here to clusters and points.
- Look for crystals in their natural state. Stones that are not cut or polished can sometimes feel more "earthy" and therefore help us feel more connected to nature and the planet we depend on in general. Nature is soothing to us the way a mother's voice and smell are soothing to her baby, because she is our mother.
- Look for crystals that relate to the elements of earth and water. Earth and water are typically more soothing elements, where as fire and air are often more stirring. Examples include chrysocolla or ocean jasper.
- Look for telltale signs that a crystal is calming to you. Do you catch yourself sighing when you pick it up? Do your shoulders slump? Do you think of relaxing things or places when you see it, like beaches or forests? Your cues may be different, but if you tune it, they are there.
Once you've got your favorite figured out, you can ...
- Try carrying them on you whenever you are in situations where you may be more agitated.
- Sleep with them under your pillow, as these stones are less likely to disturb sleep.
- *Safely take crystal baths with them, always doing your research first and abiding by the rule, "When in doubt, leave it out."
- Meditate with them—this is probably my number one recommendation. Just five minutes sitting quietly with your stone ... see what it does for you.
- Even consider creating a crystal grid of calm. If you try setting up a grid, I highly suggest you take a picture of it on your cell phone so that if you do start to amp up or meltdown somewhere out and about, you can calm yourself by looking at the image and connecting with your grid.
Crystals in and of themselves may not be enough to combat the intense pressures mounting on us day by day as we continue to eat poorly, trash the planet, insist on more consumerism, ignore our feelings and intuition, and navigate this increasingly tumultuous political climate. That is not a commentary on the ineffectiveness of crystal healing. Rather it is a commentary on the severity of our misalignment. For some, they may only be one tool in an entire arsenal of much needed support. For others, crystals can work wonders and may be all they need to keep calm, carry on, and stay centered. In either case, there is nothing easier than putting a rock in your pocket, taking it out once in a while, and marveling at the shift you instantly feel. So why not try it? What have you got to lose? Just your nerves.